Date: 12/2/19 4:31 pm
From: O Connell, Tim <tim.oconnell...>
Subject: THURSDAY night: FREE PIZZA and planning meeting for 2019 CBCs
Dear Friends and Supporters of the Payne County Audubon Society,

This Thursday night, December 5th, please join the PCAS at The Hideaway for a free pizza dinner at 7:00. In addition to swapping stories and socializing around some fine casual dining, this will serve as our planning meeting for the upcoming Christmas Bird Counts: SOONER LAKE on Tuesday, December 17 and STILLWATER on Saturday, December 21.

It works very well to identify leaders ahead of time to take charge of different portions of our Stillwater count circle. In recent years, we have divided our count circle into 8 sections for various parties to scour on the day of the count (and scout ahead of time). Our annual planning meeting is a chance to get as much of the count circle assigned as we can so we can spend more time on the 21st doing the important thing: counting birds!

For the Sooner Lake CBC on Dec. 17th, compiler John Couch will often meet people at the big convenience store at Bill’s Corner, Rt. 177 and Rt. 64. Still, any preparation we can do ahead of time is a good thing.

If you would like to participate on the 21st but cannot join us Thursday night, please reply to me (not REPLY ALL but to <tim.oconnell...><mailto:<tim.oconnell...>) to let me know. You do NOT need to be an expert birder to take part or even to volunteer to compile sightings from whichever of the 8 sections you’d like to survey. The CBC is a great way for beginning birders to have a fun day in the field – just be sure to bundle up and plan to be out there for at least a few hours. (Fanatics like me usually go pre-dawn to dusk!)

Thanks in advance for your help with this important citizen science endeavor in its 120th year! Get those feeders ready for snow and ice, best wishes for safety in travel and joy this holiday season, and good birding,

~Tim O’Connell
PCAS President
https://paynecountyaudubonsociety.com/116th-annual-christmas-bird-count/

Join us on Facebook!