Date: 12/2/19 4:27 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Yong Comment - Bill E's Leucistic Saltmarsh sparrow at Brig
I was that lucky birder who got to see the Leucistic Saltmarsh Sparrow at
Brig between Goose Marker 11 and 12 thanks to Bill who gave me the heads up
on the bird. We were driving in our own cars and communicated with facial
expression and with our hands and fingers.

Unfortunately my live-action view was short as the bird hid back into the
phrags. Quick research on the net showed any documented reference to
leucistic saltmarsh sparrow dates back to late 60's to early 1970's, and his
blog has a link to it under * Plumage Abnormalities*

I had plan to go back on Sunday to refind the sparrow for self challenge but
the family gathering got in the way. No doubt it would have been a tall
order cuz not only I would have to get the ideal tide * high tide preferred*
but the bird also had to cooperate. Let's take a vote, do I have the
birding skills and luck to find this ghost looking sharptailed on my own?

Kind of surprised this leucistic saltmarsh sparrow is getting little or no
attention. One of the reasons I could guess is leucistic birds do not shake
up the NJ's Top eBird 100 battle ground, unlike the Cape May and Sandy Hook
rarities. However, for yours truly, Bill's Leucistic Saltmarsh Sparrow is my
best bird for the weekend even if I had chased those Cape May and Sandy Hook
birds.

Yong Kong
Camden County