Date: 12/2/19 3:19 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Some Continuing Birds
Folks:

This morning, 12/2/19, I checked the Palo Alto WQCP.  Most winters,
BONAPARTE'S GULLS forage in the plant (just as they do at the San
Jose-Santa Clara plant).  While foraging, they are mostly out-of-site,
but every once in a while, some of the birds will fly into view and then
quickly drop down again.  If you are patient, the slopes of Byxbee
provide a view or the open area along Embarcadero north of the plant.
This morning, my best estimate was about 110 bonnies.  I believe these
birds roost across the Bay.  Sometimes I have seen flying that way in
the late afternoon or coming from that direction in the morning.
Sometimes they fly to the Duck Pond to bathe and then it is fairly easy
to count them (although some may remain at the plant).

This afternoon, I checked Shoreline Park and the adult SNOW GOOSE with
two immatures was on the golf course beside the road, as were the five
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE.  I counted 102 Common Goldeneyes plus a
male Barrow's X Common in the lake, but I did not find the female
Barrow's.  The two adult BROWN PELICANS were foraging over the lake.  A
female-type RED-BREASTED MERGANSER was the first I've seen there this
fall and will be a good bird for the CBC if it remains.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

View/Reply Online (#20777): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20777
-=-=-