Date: 12/2/19 2:53 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Possible Arctic Loon on Lake Pend Oreille
Hi All,

On the afternoon of Saturday November 30 I photographed a very interesting
loon along Sunnyside Road near Oden Bay on Lake Pend Oreille in Bonner
County.

I watched the bird for up to 30 minutes, and it was in relaxed posture
almost the entire time with zero diving and rarely pruning. These white
rear flank patches were conspicuous the entire time and were equally
present on both sides of the bird. Structurally, the bird seemed
intermediate between a Pacific and Common Loon. The only things that gave
me pause for Arctic Loon (other than that it would be an extreme rarity and
first state record) were a slightly blockier head than I would have
expected of an Arctic Loon, the extent of white on the face, and perhaps
more of a collared than hooded pattern to the neck (Arctic Loon is somewhat
intermediate between Pacific and Common Loons in all of these traits, I
think, and can definitely show a blockier head and whiter face than
Pacific). More details, discussion, and photos are in my eBird checklist
at: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S61881334__;!MhfXWAnT7Wk!zkz54s9pqwtbAtA73X0nQXJo1ep7M5giBsBOcD0FGfozMKKkT1QacmPWJLrAwbFef7P-6D2xWA$ .

If anyone finds themselves birding this area in the near future, it would
be ideal to obtain additional documentation including in better light or at
closer range. If you want to look for it, take Highway ID-200 east from
Sandpoint and Kootenai Idaho, turn south of Sunnyside Road and follow
Sunnyside 2-3 miles until it bends from north-south to the east, near the
SW corner of the Sunnyside Peninsula. The bird was just off the SW corner
of the peninsula among a few Horned and Red-necked Grebes.

Additional opinions are welcome and please report if you refind it.

Thanks and Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, Idaho