Date: 12/2/19 2:46 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] binocular advice for birding course?
One consideration is Angular Field of View (degrees); larger makes it
easier for beginners to "get on" the bird. What i found for the three:

celestron nature dx 8x42
Angular Field of View (deg): 7.4°
Linear Field of View (@1000 yds): 388 ft (129 m)

nikon action extreme 7x35 atb
Angular Field of View (deg): 9.3°
488-foot field of view at 1000 yards

Nikon Prostaff 3S 8x42
Angular Field of View (deg): 7.2°
378' field of view at 1000 yards

I purchased Nikon's Action 8x40 Egret II bins quite a while ago. The
angular Field of View (deg) @8.2° is outstanding. These seem readily
available used for next to nothing. My only complaint with them was the
focusing knob is quite stiff. They are now my backups.

Jim S