Date: 12/2/19 1:26 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Slow Start But Good Finish At The Chicago Botanic Garden Today Monday 12-2-19
Hello Bird People,

Highlights

Wasn't seeing much of interest but then I saw 2 PINE SISKINS in with a
large Goldfinch flock on Evening Island & at the end of the visit I
found a late EASTERN PHOEBE near the Barbara Brown Pond & finally some
calling TUNDRA SWANS (50-55) flew from west to east over the main
parking lot as I walked back to my parked car. This was a new bird for
me for the Botanic Gardens.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:45-10:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1, the same whitish one I saw last time by the Dundee
Road bridge)
TUNDRA SWAN (50-55 flying east)
Canada Goose (~30)
Mallard (14)
Goldeneye (15)
Hooded Merganser (3 males at the B.Brown Pond & the mud flats area)
Red Breasted Merganser (1)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD)
Herring Gull (4)
Mourning Dove (2 fly-bys)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1)
EASTERN PHOEBE (1, pretty late)
Blue Jay (H-4)
Crows (6 in one group)
Chickadee (4)
Robins (only 5 today)
(No Starlings or Cedar Waxwings today)
Cardinal (2-M)
Song Sparrow (1)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
White Throated Sparrow (1 or 2)
Junco (10)
PINE SISKIN (2, 1st seen this Fall, seen with the Goldfinches)
Goldfinch (35-40, almost all on Evening Island)
House Finch (4)

But better than anything I saw today was a BARN OWL seen by Ann
Harness on Evening Island on last Friday. This info from Jim Steffen
of the Botanic Garden. Wish I'd seen that one but I'll settle for
today's Tundra Swans.

Bird-Of-The-Day to those calling Tundra Swans &
Runners-Up to the late Eastern Phoebe & the finally arriving Pine Siskins.
Maybe the Redpolls will be the next to arrive?

Al Stokie
In Cook County at the CBG today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: