Date: 12/2/19 9:56 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Coos Birds of Late
Lars Norgren reminded me that he found the Say's Phoebe on the 3 Jan 2009
CBC at the Picture Valley Road barn. That was the year before Shawneen
came down with Dave Irons. Lars and Dave were together on the 3 Jan
count. Their group, including Jesse ?, also found a Prairie Falcon. Great
birds for the count.

Tim Rodenkirk
still in Coos Bay after all these years

Tim

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:41 AM Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:

> Don and Robyn Henise found a few good birds in Coos again. On Friday they
> saw a WANDERING TATTLER on the south side of the north jetty at Bandon.
> There has been a single in the same location the last two winters also, but
> it has proven to be very elusive and is only reported a couple times each
> winter. We'll see if it can be found on the 4 January Coquille Valley CBC.
>
> The next day they saw two TRUMPETER SWANS at the Myrtle Point marsh- the
> 7th Coos record.
>
> I looked for both birds yesterday without luck. I did see a SAY'S PHOEBE
> at Picture Valley road near Norway, at the barn below, where this species
> has overwintered four other times since 2008 when Dave Irons and Shawneen
> Finnegan found the first overwintering bird during a Coquille Valley CBC.
> I check this spot every winter now. There is a lot of great habitat at
> barns throughout the valley there where they could also overwinter that one
> cannot get to- would be fun to have access to some of the other large
> ranches.
>
> Nearby the phoebe location I checked Johnson Mill Pond (now a county
> park). There were a few thousand A. Wigeon there. A quick look found 6-10
> male EURASIAN WIGEON. The flock moved around a bit and cannot be seen from
> one location so I gave a range. I did not look for females, there could
> easily be a few of those present also. On the walk around the pond there
> was an OC Warbler and a couple Swamp Sparrows. I thought I heard a
> yellowthroat too, but it started raining shortly after I heard the call and
> things got quiet pretty quick- did not hear the bird again on my way out?
>
> In North Bend on Saturday afternoon there was a RHINO AUKLET off the
> Virginia St. boat ramp- pretty far up the bay for this species which
> continues in number in the bay- strange fall for this species?
>
> Merry December all!
> Tim Rodenkirk
> Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!