Date: 12/2/19 8:49 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (30 Nov 2019) 94 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 94 9434 128131

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
Two of our most loyal visitors came today to see an end to the season.
Michelle and Bill bought their energy and enthusiasm and warmed up the day
a little. Not enough mind you; it was a very cold day.

Weather:
As so we end, not so much with a bang, not so much with a whimper, but a
fair to middling day that reminded us that we knew the job was dangerous
when we took it. Cold NE winds turned more robust and bent towards the E
and stayed in our face off the lake all day long. Temps were in the 30’s
(F), real feels in the 20’s, and the extremities felt it. It was another
day with cloud cover that grew in intensity, deleting the sun and all
effects thereof, it was hard to ID birds in the dark. The barometer stayed
above 30”Hg, but barely, after falling a tenth during the shortened day.
The rain that had been forecast for an earlier time stayed away.

Raptor Observations:
The raptor parade began abruptly and ended the same way. The NE winds
finally delivered some movement but the window was small and then it
closed. Red-tails once again led the way with 46 birds. Only 1
red-shouldered made the trip. 2 golden eagles came across bringing our
season total to 62. 41 vultures were seen dallying in the wind wondering
where the rest of their flocks had gone. 2 sharp-shins and 2 Cooper's hawks
continued the near perfect attendance record for the accipiters, sharpies
are seen on almost every day. A surprise merlin was seen harassing the
local avian population as our last bird of the season.

Non-raptor Observations:
Sandhill cranes are still on the move although the numbers were smaller
today. The numbers of waterfowl seen in the air, and on the lake
especially, were staggering. One scene looked like a murmuration of ducks
with tens of thousands on the wing milling about. A fox was seen at the
site just behind us. This is the second sighting of a fox in the park
recently. Unfortunately, we have not seen our injured herring gull for a
few days and we fear the worst.

Predictions:
Although we will no longer be keeping track of the birds officially, all of
us should keep an eye on the sky as migration does not stop when we flip a
page on the calendar. It was a real pleasure working with a bunch of
special people this year and meeting new visitors who wish to witness one
of the miracles of nature. It is a long and difficult slog at times sitting
though all kinds of wind and weather conditions for three months but the
people you meet and the views of nature make it all worthwhile. Until next
year...
Report submitted by Andrew Sturgess (<ajyes72...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<8a74b0e8e3fd13e7e833bb7484274625...>

Join us on Facebook!