Date: 12/2/19 8:08 am
From: Jane Patterson <seejanebird...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Baton Rouge Audubon potluck and Madagascar program Dec 12
Baton Rouge Audubon members and friends:

It's time again for our holiday get-together! Please join us at 6:30 pm on
Dec 12 at the Bluebonnet Swamp Education Building (the same place we do our
programs) for a potluck supper. You may bring any type of dish. We
generally have in the neighborhood of 30ish people, so you can plan
accordingly. Drinks and ice will be provided. You may RSVP to
<Programs...>

After dinner we will enjoy a presentation by Joelle Finley and Ken Harris
of their birding adventure in Madagascar! They said the trip was fabulous,
so I'm sure we will all be drooling with envy.

ALSO, if you have plants or seeds that you are able to share, please bring
those as well. I will have some Butterfly Pea Vine seeds and some native
Hibiscus/Mallow seeds for sure.

For those of you who are interested in participating in the Christmas Bird
Count, we will have a short orientation and presentation about the
Christmas Bird Count. Our count will be on January 4, 2020 this year. I'm
not sure if the Area Packets will be ready, but we will update the group
with all the information we have at the time and let you know when the
remaining information will be circulated. EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT AN EXPERIENCED
BIRDER, YOU CAN HELP! All groups need spotters!

120th Annual Christmas Bird Count Date: January 4, 2010 If you would like
to participate in this year's Christmas Bird Count, please contact Katie
Percy (Katie.Percy at aubudon.org) to let her know. Katie has agreed to
again be our lead compiler of the count data.

The basic premise of the count is that we have a 15 mile radius circle
centered on Baton Rouge in which to count EVERY bird on January 4th! The
circle is broken up into areas, with a leader and helpers in each area.
Each group keeps track of the number and species of birds, their miles
traveled by car as well as distance traveled on foot. These data are then
combined with data from all the other groups in the BTR circle and compiled
into a single submission for National Audubon. National Audubon has been
keeping track of data from these CBC counts since 1900! Because all of the
data are collected within a similar time period (Dec 15- Jan 6) and from
the same location each year (pre-defined count circles), clear trends in
bird population can be seen, as well as unusual events like irruption for
particular species.

If you're interested to see data from previous Christmas Bird Counts in
Baton Rouge, you can explore that here:
https://netapp.audubon.org/cbcobservation/

If you are new to birding and are unsure if you can participate, never
fear! The more eyes the better and even if you can't ID, you can spot birds
for the leaders or more experienced birders in the group, or you can keep
track of the counts.

After we all finished counting, we will convene at Hilltop Arboretum for a
post-count potluck supper and camaraderie, and we will call a list of all
of the species found on that day.

Hope to see everyone there!

--Jane Patterson

Pres, BR Audubon