Date: 12/2/19 8:04 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fernhill "Western" sandpiper
Right click on item to be "cut" hit cut or copy, then right click where
you want it and hit paste :}. But yes, clearly a Dunlin, The gray hood
with clean white flanks, back color about like a dowitcher in winter.
Dunlin can be spotted from great distance by these points. Only other
likely option is Least, I have seen folks call Dunlin Least as well, but
the Least posture of crouching is much different and Least lack the gray
hood and are browner, a bit darker on back, and clean white flanks not as
obvious.

Bird popped up on Rare Bird alert today in Washington County.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
wrote:

> I 'm sorry l don't know how to cut and paste. There are pictures in
> the checklist. They look like Dunlin to me. Dear birders far and wide, bear
> in mind the default Sandpiper in the Willamette basin from Nov 1 to April 1
> is Dunlin, of which there are thousands. Least Sandpiper is no 2. Then
> there are Long-billed Dowitchers and Greater Yellowlegs, both of which are
> often missed on coastal CBCs despite a host of champions pursuing them.
> Western Sandpipers winter in Peru, whether darkest or brightest l cannot
> confirm. Better ask Paddington Bear.lpn

Join us on Facebook!