Date: 12/2/19 7:53 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Curry County RUSTY BLACKBIRD
Nice find Shawneen! This is only the second Curry record. We had our
second Coos record this year also (Don and Robyn Henise found one at Cape
Arago)- so great year for this species on the south coast. Your find
reminds me of the first Curry record- a quick blast to the past. On 3 Feb
2001 Colin Dillingham found one up the south bank of the Rogue River at an
RV Park near where he was living then. I went down that day and saw the
bird, I believe it was a lifer for me at the time. The next day Alan Barron
came up from Crescent City to look for the bird. As Alan was watching the
blackbird he spotted a Cape May Warbler! I remember turning around and
running back down on the 4th to see the warbler. Many birders from
throughout the state came down to see both birds. The Cape May was around
all of February and often seen in the flowering plum trees at the RV park.

Happy Birding all!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:40 PM Shawneen Finnegan <
<shawneenfinnegan...> wrote:

> After stuffing ourselves atThursday night’s family dinner Dave and I
> headed south on Friday for a couple of days along the south coast.
>
> Today we began at Smith River, California seeing the recently found female
> KING EIDER. She was very cooperative. We also spotted a Ross’s Goose flying
> over us with Cackling Geese.
>
> On our way back to Gold Beach we stopped and birded the Pistol River Loop
> a bit after 3pm. There was a big flock of blackbirds and starlings at the
> Pistol River Fire District parking lot at the junction of Pistol River Loop
> and N Bank Pistol River Rd.
>
> Thankfully Dave got right on it and saw it even better than I did before a
> harrier spooked the flock, given it as on his side of the car. We tried to
> refind it but we were unsuccessful. It was beginning to rain in addition to
> dusk approaching rapidly.
>
> We have seen 4 White-throated Sparrows, loads of Black Phoebes, 3
> Orange-crowned Warblers, etc., in Curry.
>
> https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S61882260
>
> Shawneen
> Beaverton, OR
> shawneenfinnegan.com