Date: 12/2/19 7:29 am
From: Bud Poole <budpoole343...>
Subject: [MDBirding] binocular advice for birding course?
Hi Derek,

I used the celestron nature dx 10x42 as my first pair. I was extremely happy with them as I grew into the hobby (or obsession?). The objective and eye lenses of the Celestron withstood my lackadaisical lens cleaning for years. Unfortunately when I upgraded, the lack of cleaning skills did not do well for my new Zeiss bins. I'm sending the Zeiss back as we speak and hoping the warranty will cover it. The point being that the Celestron is ideal for withstanding beginner negligence.

The only negative I had with the Celestron is the eye relief cups are now extremely loose and won't hold position. It's likely something that isn't covered by Celestron or even worth paying for replacement with the overall affordablility of a brand new set. This was my primary reason for "upgrading" but I did notice the difference between the clarity in favor of the Zeiss over the Celestron. The Celestron are now my leave in the car backup pair.

Despite the difference in glass quaity from the Zeiss over the Celestron I still really appreciate the overall solid buy that the Celestron was for my initial pair. I just didn't anticipate falling into the rabbit hole of birding and how much use I've logged on my bins plus the inevitable desire for even more definition\clarity.

I highly recommend the Celestron but depending on anticipated use they could also consider the Vortex Diamondback (With holiday sales prices being favorable likely throughout Dec.) as an option to consider with their unlimited lifetime warranty.

Bud Poole
Patterson Park - Baltimore