Date: 12/2/19 5:49 am
From: Martha Pfeiffer <0000001a1bef7484-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] VTBIRD Digest - 30 Nov 2019 to 1 Dec 2019 (#2019-301)
 Sparrow ID
Ralph, my take on it is SONG SPARROW.  Notice the dark brown patches on each side of the throat.  Also, long tail.

  Martha Pfeiffer

On Monday, December 2, 2019, 12:00:12 AM EST, VTBIRD automatic digest system <listserv...> wrote:

Topics of the day:

  1. Mergansers
  2. Bald Eagle bonus
  3. Help with Sparrow ID (2)

Date:    Sun, 1 Dec 2019 14:11:24 -0500
From:    Barclay Morris <bemorris...>
Subject: Mergansers

In the Inland Sea between Grand Isle and Savage Island HUGE flocks of Common Mergansers. Too busy (some diving, some swimming North, some swimming South. some out towards Savage and many close to Grand Isle headed down towards the State Park)and some too far away for any sort of accurate count),  but I’m going to guess 2,000 minimum maybe up t0 2800 on the high end.Usually don’t expect to see this sort of action until 2nd half of December. We frequently don’t see this huge flock until a week or so before this part of the Lake ices over.

Barclay Morris
East Shore Grand Isle

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Dec 2019 14:17:32 -0500
From:    Barclay Morris <bemorris...>
Subject: Bald Eagle bonus

Adult was soaring several hundred feet above the Merganser flock

Barclay

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:45:59 -0500
From:    Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin...>
Subject: Help with Sparrow ID

Greetings -

I had a sparrow near my feeders today, and I'm having some trouble
identifying it. I took a look using binoculars, but couldn't see much, so I
took some photos. The list will not accept .jpg files, so here's a link to
a folder on my Google Drive account with three of the photos:
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ShwTQKkGduMKPjKNn-Ol8PYCp0LoVm5G>

The bird was not very cooperative - it just wouldn't stand up straight and
face me and give me a nice profile. Oh, well. I would appreciate it if
someone could give me a fairly definite ID, including what features seemed
conclusive. I narrowed it down to two possibilities, but I can't make up my
mind.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer
Brattleboro, VT

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 1 Dec 2019 23:55:21 -0500
From:    Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...>
Subject: Re: Help with Sparrow ID

Not seeing any other responses here, I’ll chime in with my thoughts after viewing the photos on my iPhone screen: Song Sparrow.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 1, 2019, at 9:45 PM, Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin...> wrote:
>
> Greetings -
>
> I had a sparrow near my feeders today, and I'm having some trouble
> identifying it. I took a look using binoculars, but couldn't see much, so I
> took some photos. The list will not accept .jpg files, so here's a link to
> a folder on my Google Drive account with three of the photos:
> <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ShwTQKkGduMKPjKNn-Ol8PYCp0LoVm5G>
>
> The bird was not very cooperative - it just wouldn't stand up straight and
> face me and give me a nice profile. Oh, well. I would appreciate it if
> someone could give me a fairly definite ID, including what features seemed
> conclusive. I narrowed it down to two possibilities, but I can't make up my
> mind.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Ralph
>
> --
> Ralph Palmer
> Brattleboro, VT
> USA
> (he, him, his)
> <palmer.r.violin...>

End of VTBIRD Digest - 30 Nov 2019 to 1 Dec 2019 (#2019-301)