Date: 12/2/19 3:51 am
From: Joel Geier <clearwater...>
Subject: Sheldon CBC on Dec 20
Hi all,

This year's Sheldon Christmas Bird Count is scheduled for December 20th,
on Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge in the northwest corner of Nevada.

The hot-spring-fed Dufurrena Ponds in the Virgin Valley are a winter
oasis for any water birds including waterfowl, rails and even bitterns,
and songbirds wintering in the region also tend to concentrated there.
We usually find Northern Shrikes and American Tree Sparrow -- though we
broke our streak on the latter last year -- and we're still hoping to
find Greater Sage-Grouse (known to be resident in the circle, but so far
we've only found tracks on count day).

Accommodations are available for volunteers in the refuge bunkhouse
complex for the nights before and after the counts (so from the
afternoon of Dec 19th through the morning of Dec 21st). The main
bunkhouse (built for fire crews that are stationed there in the summer
months) includes a big, well-equipped kitchen and common area, plus
dormitory-style rooms. Usually we have enough space for everyone who
wants their own room to have one. Please contact me if you plan to be
there, so I can get you on the list.

The count on Sheldon NWR's sister refuge, Hart Mountain National
Antelope Refuge (just across the state line in Oregon) will be on
December 18th. Hart Mtn also offers accommodations for volunteers, so
you could make a four-day trip to the northern Great Basin by joining
both counts, with an easy travel day in between. Please contact Laurel
Kullerud (<laurel_kullerud...>) if you want to sign up for the Hart
Mountain count.

Please contact me for more information and/or to let me know if you
join us at Sheldon NWR. This count is in a very sparsely populated area
(even by Nevada standards) with limited cell phone reception, so we
try to sort out plans well in advance!

--
Joel Geier
Oregon/Nevada Regional CBC Editor