Date: 12/1/19 4:57 pm
From: Erik Ostrander <erik.d.ostrander...>
Subject: [obol] Cannon Beach Bird Walk
Good evening OBOLers,

This morning was the First Sunday Cannon Beach Monthly Bird Walk. Despite
the drizzly rain and chilly 40 degree weather, we had a respectable
turnout. The 6 of us participants braved the elements to find wintering
birds at the Cannon Beach settling ponds.

We totaled 37 species including 12 species of waterfowl. At the south end
of the main ponds we had a chance to look at an odd looking Cackling Goose
that has a rust colored cheek. I spent some time trying to look online at
pictures of Cackling Geese and couldn't find another bird that looks the
same as this individual. If anyone has any ideas I put some pictures of
this orange cheeked Cackling Goose on the eBird Checklist linked below.

A Mew Gull was feeding in the aeration basins with the group of Mallards,
Gadwalls, and Wigeons.

Around the east side of the ponds we had fantastic views of the group of 4
Greater White-fronted Geese real close to the fence line along with a
solitary American Coot feeding in the middle of the pond.

Right before scattering to get back to the warmth of our homes we had a
nice look at the Black Phoebe that has spend over 8 months hanging out at
the ponds near the recycling center.

My eBird Checklist can be found Here <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61902560>

The first Sunday of every month we meet up to go birding around the Cannon
Beach settling ponds at 9:00am, everyone is welcome and encouraged to join
us. Our next walk will be January 5th, 2020. For any questions or if
anyone wants directions please feel free to contact me!

--
Thank you,
Erik Ostrander

Join us on Facebook!