Date: 11/30/19 5:40 pm
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Curry County RUSTY BLACKBIRD
After stuffing ourselves atThursday night’s family dinner Dave and I headed south on Friday for a couple of days along the south coast.

Today we began at Smith River, California seeing the recently found female KING EIDER. She was very cooperative. We also spotted a Ross’s Goose flying over us with Cackling Geese.

On our way back to Gold Beach we stopped and birded the Pistol River Loop a bit after 3pm. There was a big flock of blackbirds and starlings at the Pistol River Fire District parking lot at the junction of Pistol River Loop and N Bank Pistol River Rd.

Thankfully Dave got right on it and saw it even better than I did before a harrier spooked the flock, given it as on his side of the car. We tried to refind it but we were unsuccessful. It was beginning to rain in addition to dusk approaching rapidly.

We have seen 4 White-throated Sparrows, loads of Black Phoebes, 3 Orange-crowned Warblers, etc., in Curry.

https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S61882260

Shawneen
Beaverton, OR
shawneenfinnegan.com