Date: 11/30/19 8:26 am
From: Rick Vetter <cotingas...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Can/do jægers soar?
Watched a parasitic jaeger in Harney County this fall. Perfect conditions for soaring here, but this one put on a superb display of aerobatic falcon like skills forcing gulls to drop food. (And minutes later we saw a peregrine and prairie falcon hunting the same area).

Reminded us of frigate birds tipping red footed boobies returning with food to feed chicks on the nest, when we worked at French Frigate shoals 500 mi N of HI.

A rare site in Harney County !

Sent from my iPhone
Rick Vetter <cotingas...>
Phone 541-589-2230
“Even the worst handwritten notes are better than the best memory or technology”
Sergej Postupalsky, eagle researcher

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 5:44 AM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> Of course. They are only gulls with the added ability to fly like a falcon. And falcons soar all the time. When we see birds over Oregon's autumnal ocean the air is well mixed and the water more homogeneous still. Thermal drafts don't form under such conditions, soaring is not an option.

Join us on Facebook!