Date: 11/29/19 9:37 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Lesser Black-backed Gull, misc.
I've been seawatching between showers the past few days. Every time I've
looked out to sea the LOONS have been streaming by at a good rate of
hundreds to thousands per hour. However, the best movement so far has been
of RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, especially on November 26. In a one-hour seawatch off
West Cliff I tallied about 1,890 flying by in flocks. Their movement
continued into the afternoon that day as later off Seabright SB about 710
flew by in one hour.

Five ANCIENT MURRELETS were off West Cliff and a POMARINE JAEGER was off
Seabright on Nov 26, and a RED-NECKED GREBE was near the Santa Cruz Wharf on
Nov 27. I saw a female WHITE-WINGED SCOTER from the Waddell Bluffs and a
male and female BLACK SCOTER further into Ano Nuevo Bay in San Mateo Co. on
Nov 28.

A BRANDT'S CORMORANT was carrying nest material off West Cliff on Nov 26. I
think there may have been a nest start on the little rock off Lighthouse
Point but I did not go investigate at a closer distance. Last Sunday, Nov
24, I saw another Brandt's carrying nest material off Point Pinos in
Monterey Co. While it may seem unseasonal for this behavior, they are known
to begin nesting in December in southern California. They've also been seen
nest building in November in Santa Cruz County previously, but these
attempts are likely discontinued with the onset of winter weather.

This morning I went looking for Scaly-breasted Munias in south county but
had no luck at Pinto Lake City Park (where they were last year) or
Salsipuedes Creek (no reports yet, but a good place to check). At Harkins
Slough there was a huge gull flock roosting on the slough and commuting back
and forth from the landfill. I managed to pick out an adult LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL just before one of the GOLDEN EAGLES overhead flushed all
the gulls into the air. Photos are on eBird:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61852419

Alex Rinkert

Santa Cruz