Date: 11/29/19 5:53 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: jaieger/skua question
jaegers can soar remarkably well. I saw a Parasitic at Davis Lake in late summer many years ago that left the lake surface and soared more or less straight up until I could not see it at all WITH 8x binoculars. It hardly moved a wing.

How high was it then? Maybe 6,000 feet? I’m sure that the wonder of physics would give us an answer but I don’t do math.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

Attending Christmas Bird Counts with good weather forecasts.

> On Nov 29, 2019, at 5:46 PM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
>
> I can't say I have ever seen a skua of any type soaring for any extended period of time. However, I have no real experience with such birds over land.
>
> Bob Archer
> pdx
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 4:37 PM <t4c1x...> <mailto:<t4c1x...>> wrote:
>
> Many years ago I saw a skua/jaeger species over Thornton Creek (Lincoln).II know it was a jaeger or a skua, because it was dark and had the white primary patches typical of that family. I saw those marks clearly as the bird was overhead, Howver,I did not have binoculars at the time, and the bird was several hundred feet above me, so I had (and have) no way of determining its specific i.d. But I do have a question. The bird was soaring in circles, like a buteo. I have seen quite a few (not lots) of jaegers, and have never seen one soar. I have seen precisely one skua in my life, so nothing about them. Are either jaegers or skuas known to soar? Are both? Just curious.
>
> Darrel.

Join us on Facebook!