Date: 11/29/19 4:37 pm
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] jaieger/skua question

Many years ago I saw a skua/jaeger species over Thornton Creek (Lincoln).II know it was a jaeger or a skua, because it was dark and had the white primary patches typical of that family. I saw those marks clearly as the bird was overhead, Howver,I did not have binoculars at the time, and the bird was several hundred feet above me, so I had (and have) no way of determining its specific i.d. But I do have a question. The bird was soaring in circles, like a buteo. I have seen quite a few (not lots) of jaegers, and have never seen one soar. I have seen precisely one skua in my life, so nothing about them. Are either jaegers or skuas known to soar? Are both? Just curious.

Darrel.

Join us on Facebook!