Date: 11/27/19 9:56 pm
From: Michael Terenzoni <mikeetee1...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] 200 White Pelicans and 1 Brown continue ~8 miles west of Buckeye at Lower River Road Ponds and 309th Ave Ponds
Some 200 American White Pelicans, 1 Brown Pelican (immature), 3 Snow Geese
and about 80 cormorants (+ some usual suspects, usual suspect ducks, etc.
and some gulls-sorry did not identify) continue on Lower River Road Ponds
and 309th Ave ponds on Lower River Road in the huge agricultural area some
8 miles approx. west of Buckeye (which is also about a 2 hour drive from
the center of Tucson and well worth the drive). Some birds were a flock of
Dunlin, a Greater Yellowlegs, and an unidentified sandpiper catching gnats
out of the air (I need to examine my pictures to identify) and, perhaps, 2
longspurs (had a short view). The 3 Snow Geese, the many cormorants and 15
White Pelicans were at the Lower River Road Ponds just east of the
intersection of S. Bruner Road and Lower River Rd. A couple of locals were
kind enough early to let me know of the 200 hundred or so Pelicans just
about 0.75 west on River Road at the 309th Ave ponds (on EBird this site
shows up as 'Buckeye Canal & 309th Ave ponds'). The one immature brown
Pelican was at this location. Very interesting to watch all these birds
fish/feed in groups and the interaction between the Brown Pelican with the
other birds. 3 Local children riding dirt bikes and ATVs scared many of the
birds from the Lower River Road Ponds late in the day today, but the birds
are much closer at the 309th Ave ponds and tolerant of people making for
fantastic viewing. Never made it due to time before sunset to the Arlington
Wildlife Area which has to be accessed via a farm road and not all that
easy to find at least for me (I botched finding it, being rushed, so need
to go back!). Great general location for birding! A scope is useful esp. at
the Lower River Road Ponds.