Date: 11/27/19 7:21 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: rock sandpiper questions
As far as I know, the variation within species would overwhelm any attempt
to use bill length as an id indicator. Here are the measurements from Pyle
for exposed culmen:

Purple
male 26.8-33.4
female 31.7-38.1

Rock
ptilocnemis (Bering Sea rare to WA)
male 26.9-32.5
female 29.7-38.5

Good luck telling those bills apart :)

Rock
tschuktschorum (the Aleutian one that comes to OR, the other one stays put
but is very close to these measurements)
male 24.5-30.1
female 28.4-34.0

Sorry if my nice table gets chopped up in the ABA view of this email.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 7:08 PM <t4c1x...> wrote:

> Can someone with experience with both races of Rock Sandpiper and with
> Purple Sandpiper tell me if the difference in bill length between both
> Purple Sandpiper and Pribilof Rock Sandpiper and Aleutian Rock Sandpiper is
> as great as Sibley's illustrations suggest. Is there overlap in culmen
> length between the Aleutian Rock and the other two? And is the difference
> in bill length a useful characteristic in field identification?
>
> Darrel

Join us on Facebook!