Date: 11/26/19 6:21 pm
From: John Sullivan <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender oropendolas for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Lane Co Costa’s vs Anna’s

| Hello All,

Nancy’s bird looks a lot like COSTA’S to me. Looking at many Costa’s and Anna’s photos on line, I’ve found several obvious Costa’s that show a partial Anna’s-pink gorget depending on the angle and light. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Anna’s showing the deep purple as on Nancy’s bird, not even on a wet bird. The other marks, more prominent white eyebrow and darker gray cheek than Anna’s are subtle and could be exaggerated by wet feathers. Can’t see the bill shape well in any of the photos. Hopefully this bird is still in the neighborhood for a closer look.

Thanks for providing a little armchair birding during this inclement weather, Nancy!

Good Birding,

John Sullivan
Springfield, OR

| I posted this bird as an Anna's because, of course, that is what we have in Eugene even though its gorget looks purple in the pictures. John Sullivan encouraged me to get some other opinions so please weigh in. The bird is wet as it is bathing in the bubbler so I don't know how that changes our perception of the color.Here's the link to my eBird report of Sunday, Nov 24, 2019.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S6...
Nancy Clogston |

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail