Date: 11/26/19 4:42 pm
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] HUGE Scaup numbers
Sean,

I found a huge raft of scaup and other waterfowl at Perryville Community Park (Cecil County) last week. They were way up in Furnace Bay, sheltering from a stiff wind. I estimated there were between 3000 and 4000 waterfowl, and most looked like Lesser Scaup to me. However, the distance and a haze over the water prevented me from positively identifying all of them, so I put most down as duck sp. I did enter 500 LESC and even that was flagged by eBird. There were also about 60 Ring-neckeds, a handful of Canvasback, a couple hundred each of Ruddy Ducks, Bufflehead, about a hundred Mallards, a couple hundred Canada Geese, plus about 100 American Coots. Overall, the numbers seemed high to me so early in the winter, but the wind might have been a factor, concentrating the birds in the small area of Furnace Bay, when normally they might have been spread out all over the Susquehanna Flats area of Chesapeake Bay.

Marcia
Marcia Watson
Patuxent Bird Club
https://patuxentbirdclub.org/