Date: 11/26/19 4:31 pm
From: 'Tom McCabe' <tmccabe9...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Fowl weather, great ride
It was quite cold with a skiff of snow on our lawn when I set out today. As
usual, I glanced at the large tree at 19th and Eastman and was rewarded with
a Merlin as bird #4. Things were quiet at Esther Simplot Park, but I was
able to find Gadwalls, A. Wigeons, and C. Mergansers. But Veterans Pond
produced L. Scaup, RN Ducks, a ton of C. Mergansers, and a PB Grebe. That
made my total 20.

My second raptor of the day was a GH Owl that has a well-disguised hangout
that I happened to find one day (going slow on a bike has its benefits).
Then I found a little "cloud" of BC Chickadees, Brown Creepers, RC Kinglets
and RB Nuthatches. By now I was over 30 birds and cautiously optimistic.

My optimism was rewarded at Les Bois track with a pair of RT Hawks, and the
pond had more RN Ducks than I've seen there in some time, plus Buffleheads
(and hordes of C. Geese of course).

As I headed back to the river from Remington St., I saw a large bird flying
upriver and got binos on him quickly enough to identify a Bald Eagle-always
a treat. The ride home along the river produced a small flock of C.
Goldeneye, a Cooper's Hawk, and an A. Kestrel (six raptors is a great day!).
Other birds of note were a foraging Bewick's Wren and a calling Pacific
Wren, plus several GB Herons.

My final tally was 42 birds in 11 miles. Not bad for an old fart.

Tom McCabe, Boise

Join us on Facebook!