Date: 11/26/19 7:51 am
From: Shilo McDonald <shilocm...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Eastern Phoebe, Gloucester, 11-25
Massbirders,Yesterday, a woman named Catharine asked me, "Did you see that flycatcher, you passed by?" And since I'm now a master birder, who's acutely aware of all the birds around him, of course I answered, "Huh?" Then I turned, looked, and sure enough, I had passed right by a juvenile Eastern Phoebe fly catching on the ocean facing rocks of Brace Cove, Gloucester.

Checklist with lots of photos:https://ebird.org/checklist/S61763731

Text only version below my name.
Happy Birding,Shilo McDonald, Lynn, MassBBC, ECOC and MassAudubon memberShiloCM at Yahoo dot com

Niles Pond & Brace Cove, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Nov 25, 2019 1:35 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    Low tide exposed lots of rocks and boulders for me to climb on. So, I walked a ways out towards the ocean facing rock cliff (on the retreat side of the cove). Looked very carefully at every gull I found, but never did I see an Iceland Gull. I did see several Grey Seals though, relaxing in the cove. They weren't hard to miss.
29 species (+4 other taxa)

Canada Goose  29    In the pond.
Mute Swan  4
Mallard  15
Ring-necked Duck  40
Common Eider  45    In the sea, beyond the cove.
Surf Scoter  140    A large group. In a long line. Just past the outer most rocks of the cove. On the right side.
Bufflehead  38    In the pond and in the sea.
Red-breasted Merganser  24    In the pond and in the ocean.
duck sp.  20    Out at sea.
American Coot  5
alcid sp.  5    Black and white specs. Flying over the ocean in the distance. Damned if I know.
Ring-billed Gull  18
Herring Gull  43
Great Black-backed Gull  71    Most of these were on the ocean facing rock cliff on the right.
gull sp.  100    On the ocean facing rock cliff on the left side.
Common Loon  2    In the ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant  1    Flying by. Over the ocean.
Great Blue Heron  1    I took a bad photo, shot in the direction of the sun, as the bird was landing on the side of Niles Pond.
Red-tailed Hawk  1    Being mobbed by American Crows. He wasn't happy about that.
Eastern Phoebe  1    A woman named Catharine asked me, "Did you see that flycatcher, you passed by?" And since I'm now a master birder, who's acutely aware of the birds around him, of course I answered, "Huh?" I turned, I looked, and sure enough, I had passed right by a juvenile Eastern Phoebe fly catching on the ocean facing rocks of the cove. See photos.
Blue Jay  2    Jeers heard. Coming from the property of the retreat.
American Crow  4    Mobbing a Red-tailed Hawk.
Black-capped Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1    Heard only. Yank, yank. Coming from the property of the retreat.
Carolina Wren  1    Heard only. Scolding calls. Retreat property, near the parking spaces.
House Sparrow  5    Near the bench in front of the houses.
House Finch  5
American Goldfinch  3    Overhead asking some House Finches if they knew where they could get some potato chips.
Lark Sparrow  1    This is the third Lark Sparrow I've seen this year. Apparently The Commonwealth is a popular vacation spot for Lark Sparrows. Has anyone else noticed this one has a deformed toe on its right foot? Possibly injured? See photos.
Song Sparrow  2
sparrow sp.  3    Little brown jobs. Didn't investigate.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1    Flew past my parked car and into the property of the retreat.
Northern Cardinal  1    Near the parking spaces.

Join us on Facebook!