Date: 11/25/19 9:36 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] November 25, 2019 Mount Auburn Cemetery Cambridge - Abundant Juncos &,White-Throated Sparrows
Thanks to Matt S. for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: "Matt S." <accipiter22...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 12:01:35 -0500
Subject: November 25, 2019 Mount Auburn Cemetery Cambridge - Abundant
Juncos &
White-Throated Sparrows

Hi All,

I took a quick trip to Mount Auburn today since the weather was nice. I
didn=E2=80=99t see any Sapsuckers or Fox Sparrows, but I did see Juncos and
White-Throated sparrows in numbers, along with a small flotilla of mallards
which is always a welcome sight. It was actually mobbed with them. Jays
and Cardinals were abundant as well. If I had to guess I would say more
northerly Jays and Cardinals have come down to Massachusetts and our
resident ones haven=E2=80=99t moved south yet (if they actually will). I=
=E2=80=99ve
noticed a ton of Jays in general over the past month, in higher numbers
than any other year I=E2=80=99ve lived in Eastern Massachusetts, and beatin=
g out a
lot of the years from when I lived in the Western part as well.

There was also a ton of leaf cleanup going on so that created a din that
probably kept activity somewhat suppressed.

That's all for now

Matt S
<Accipiter22...>
Newton, MA
------

Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Nov 25, 2019 10:24 AM - 10:57 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.28 mile(s)
14 species

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 5
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 7
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 13
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 37
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 9
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 6
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 25
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 31
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 7

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S61740122

Join us on Facebook!