Date: 11/24/19 7:43 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Black Phoebe, etc. - Long Beach Peninsula, WA
Birder/Nature Guide Mark Smith and his son Falco and I birded here today, mostly from the yard.

There was a Black Phoebe, which is still rare in Washington I think, in my yard on Willapa Bay today. There was one here years ago as well. As far as I know, these are two of only three records for the county, but I would not be surprised if there have been more sightings.

A delightful sight was a family of two adult and five young Trumpeter Swans that swam by on the calm water. They eventually took flight, which requires some effort from these huge birds.

More surprising at this particular location were three Black Scoters, a new species for this yard list.

Two Western Grebes surprisingly did their mating dance, bill touch, and synchronized dive. (Some time in the late 1960s Harry Nehls, Mark Koninendyke and I saw a Western Grebe with young on Black Lake on the peninsula.)

Mixed flocks of dabbling ducks, mainly Pintails and American Wigeons, numbering into the low thousands of individuls, were on the bay, mostly near the town of Oysterville.

A totally enjoyable sunny, calm, somewhat warm day for late November, with Anna’s Hummingbirds fighting for the gravillea bushes. It won’t last long.

Jeff Gilligan

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!