Date: 11/24/19 4:01 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Today at Paton's
Hi Birders: As we transition into winter, it's always a bit of a crapshoot as to what is going to turn up at Tucson Audubon's Paton's Center for Hummingbirds in Patagonia. Last winter we had a couple of rarish sparrows; ( Rufous morphed Fox, and two White throated ), and you wonder what this winter may have in store.
The three main sparrow species seen today were the expected White crowned, Chipping and Lincoln's. A couple of Green tailed Towhees were showing nicely; one in the butterfly garden brush pile, and the other in the brush pile behind the house, close to the property line. The one in the butterfly garden was pretty cooperative for the birders there who were interested in taking some pics. Perhaps somewhat unexpected was a female type Lazuli Bunting which made a one-off appearance at the water feature behind the main house.
This a great time of year to see resident Violet crowned Hummingbirds off feeder, as they will often alight in the nearest tree after feeding, and present pretty good photo opportunities for birders who are also bird photographers. Most of the leaves are off these trees, which makes it much easier. The other two hummingbird species present today were Anna's ( most common ), and Broad billed.
Also, at this time of year, it becomes a bit more pleasant to visit with the many visiting birders, as we are not constantly avoiding the sun and the heat. The temps early this morning there were in the low 40's, and in the process of filling up feeders, one female Anna's could only " twitch" as I approached. Afternoon temps were very pleasant.
Fun to meet up with Tucson birder Chris Rohrer, as I follow his frequent and interesting posts on Facebook. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson
Green Valley