Date: 11/23/19 8:40 pm
From: <phawk254...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island/Salisbury Raptors 11/23/2019
An Ipswich River Sanctuary Winter Hawks Field Class had a good day on Plum Island and vicinity today. Enjoying sunny skies, temps from the mid 30s to the low 40s, and light NW winds, we had excellent viewing conditions from 8 am to 2 pm.

Turkey Vulture. 2 (Ipswich and NBPT)
Bald Eagle 2-3 immatures (1 juvenile, 1 one- yr-old)
Northern Harrier. 7+ (5 PI, 2 Salis) inc 1 subadult female
Cooper's Hawk 1 PI
Red-tailed Hawk 11 (6 PI, 5 Salis)

Short-eared Owl 1 (seen by 1 on PI in late afternoon, after class)

One of the Plum Redtails was a juvenile that was actively hovering low into a 5-8 mph NW wind, causing some to at first think it was a rough-leg.
The diversity was little less than hoped (no falcons or roughlegs), but we had good views of four species. Other highlights included at least 7 Pintails on Plum and a drake Wood Duck at Salisbury. The Black Duck population on the Plum Island marsh at high tide was disturbingly low for this date.

Best,
Paul

Paul M. Roberts
Medford, MA