Date: 11/23/19 8:08 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] RI Rarities Trip
Thanks to Strickland Wheelock for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:40:41 +0000 (UTC)
From: Strickland Wheelock <skwheelock...>
Subject: RI Rarities Trip

Sat 23rd 3 full vans of 18 birders left Drumlin Farm from Lincoln MA to
explore from the top of Aquidneck Iisland to Sachuest Point enjoying a
sunny mild day of exploration of various locations in our travels.
Interestingly, we had a Barred Owl calling nearby as we were departing
Drumlin Farm and the same owl calling on our return in the evening.
First stop on our trip was off Boyd's Lane picking up Yellow-rumped
Warblers/other species and at the beach, several Brant, Common Goldeneye
plus several other ocean species off the shore.
From here we traveled to Sisson Pond and as we started down the path,
we tried calling in birds from the path, and to our delight, an
Orange-crowned Warbler popped up along with a Swamp Sparrow,
Mockingbird, Cardinals, etc plus a fly over Sharp-shinned Hawk - at the
pond, a nice mixture of Ruddy Ducks, Common and Red-breasted Mergansers
added to the species mix.
After a quick stop at Lawton Reservoir seeing a Northern Harrier fly
over, we headed to the new Grassland Park off 71 East Main St - we
walked a curving trial around the grassland where Wes we had an
Orange-crowned Warbler, but today a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Red-winged
Blackbirds, Dark-eyed Juncos and several Savannah Sparrow were birds of
interest.
After lunch & 50+ Fish Crows, we headed to South Easton Pond to scan the
volumes/variety of duck species/100+ Coot, 4 Pied-billed Grebes, Mute
Swan, gull mix, etc - some of the top duck species were the Tufted Duck
[male], 2 Canvasbacks, 2 Redheads, many Bufflehead, Ring-necked & Ruddy
Ducks, Lesser & Greater Scaup, Gadwalls, many Hooded & Red-breasted
Mergansers, etc - just volumes [hundreds] of ducks & Coot.
To end the day, we quickly walked around Sachuest Point were we enjoyed
a Razorbill, 1 Kittiwake, several Gannets, Horned Grebes, all 3 Scoter
species, Harlequin Ducks, Common Eiders, Red-throated and Common Loons,
a Merlin and Peregrine Falcon, Dunlin, Great Cormorants & more.
In the end, we had approximately 72 species for the day with several
highlights mentioned. Some other bird highlights seen a few previous
days while scouting were a Baltimore Oriole, a different Orange-crowned
Warbler at the grasslands, Rufous-sided Towhees, Catbirds, House &
Winter Wrens, Long-tailed Ducks, Red-necked Grebes, Tree Swallows,
American Tree Sparrow, Horned Larks

Upcoming trip for Dumlin Farm WS on Dec 14th is one to the Great Bay of
New Hampshire where we will focus on Sandy and Adam's Points and if
time,work our way to the Salisbury/Newburyport/Plum Island area for any
known highlights like Snowy Owls, etc

Trip Leaders
Strickland Wheelock - Uxbridge  MA
Leslie Bostrum - Pawtucket  RI