Date: 11/23/19 7:22 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Out-of-state rarity: BREWER'S SPARROW in CT!
Hi MassBirders,

A Brewer’s Sparrow was found today at Hammonasset Beach State Park in Connecticut! Found and photographed by Jack Faller Saturday morning, and seen by many other birders through the rest of the day. First record for the state, and I think only the third for all of New England, following one on Monhegan in 2014, and our own Massachusetts record, from 1873, a specimen still in the MCZ at Harvard! Given the extreme rarity of the species in this part of the continent, I thought it was worth sharing here, in case anyone felt like crossing state lines to see a species that we’d otherwise have to travel halfway across the continent to seek…

Photos by Frank Mantlik:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61689122 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61689122>

And by Jason Rieger:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61688201 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61688201>

And Alex Lin-Moore:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61676971 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61676971>

Many more here, but I think y’all get the idea:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L298379/activity <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L298379/activity>

Posted with permission from Barbara Volkle…

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

Join us on Facebook!