Date: 11/23/19 5:47 pm
From: Peggy Mundy <peggy_busby...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Not Gyrfalcon today at Hayton Preserve but Tundra Peregrine?
Is the tundra peregrine ID confirmed?  I saw that bird on November 11, and would like to update my eBird checklist, if so.  Currently I have it simply as peregrine.
Peggy
On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 05:26:18 p.m. PST, <EdSwan2...> <edswan2...> wrote:

Today I was guiding some birders at the Hayton Preserve.  We were watching the Dunlin/Peregrine show about 1300 when I looked back to the trees where the Gyrfalcon has been reported.  In the farthest group of trees a large falcon was sitting toward the top.  It was a very light colored, very striped bird with a visible wide white supercilium and it looked like white crown.  I really wanted it to be the Gyr and thought the wingtips were not reaching the tail tip but twigs and movement made it hard to be absolutely sure.  It was fairly agitated, I think because of some hunting action ongoing in the adjacent field. After thinking about it some more and consulting Sibley’s more, I’m pretty sure it was probably a juvenile Tundra Peregrine as in Sibley’s.  It definitely looked more white than gray, though it was facing us which meant it was facing into what dim sunlight that there was.  I also have looked at Marv Breece’s photo of the Gyr on flicker and the supercilium on today’s bird was definitely more white and broader and it did appear to have a white crown. I don’t think now that the bird I saw today was the same as the Gyr seen earlier.  I talked with another birder present who I apologize to because I immediately forgot the name (Stan?).  If you’re reading this maybe you might also comment?  He also made the same transition from thinking Gyr to Tundra Peregrine.

Maybe I should click falcon sp.?

Anyone else seeing a similar large falcon or have any comments?

Good birding,

Ed

Ed Swan

Nature writer and guide