Date: 11/22/19 7:24 pm
From: Denis DeSilvis <avnacrs4birds...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 11-21-2019
Tweeters,

When the ten of us started on our monthly JBLM Eagles Pride Golf Course trek, it was a foggy, cool 33degF. A couple of hours later it had warmed up to a foggy, balmy 37degF. It was definitely long-john, multi-layer-tog weather! The walk was fine, even with the birding being slow, with not many species or numbers of individuals. Bird of the day was a very well seen HERMIT THRUSH feeding on the ground next to Hodge Lake. We all watched for almost 5 minutes as this small thrush picked off invertebrates from in the grass, often pecking into the soil, much like an American Robin. This bird could well be the same Hermit Thrush we saw in shrubbery at this location last month.

As a side note, the day prior to our walk our host sponsor (Dave) at JBLM Eagles Pride watched a Varied Thrush tear apart three mushrooms and apparently feed on the gills of each. (Although there is quite a bit of protein in the gills of mushrooms, it could be the thrush was getting invertebrates from this area.) Each time, the bird would peck the crown of the mushroom apart, feeding on the underside, leaving the stalk of the mushroom intact and in the ground. All of the mushrooms were large (I forgot the name of the species), and it took a bit of time for the Varied Thrush to tear each one apart. This behavior was so unique that Dave did an online search to see if there was documentation on this type of behavior, but if there was, he couldn't locate it. Has anyone out there in Tweeterland seen this feeding behavior with Varied Thrushes or other bird species?

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* December 19

* January 16 (2020!)

* February 20

Anyone is welcome to join us!

From the eBird PNW report:

23 species (+1 other taxa)

American Wigeon 8 Hodge Lake

Mallard 8 Hodge Lake

Ring-necked Duck 9 Hodge Lake - all appeared to be females

Great Blue Heron 1 Seen twice (ghostly, in the fog) flying over 12th hole pond

Belted Kingfisher 1

Northern Flicker 3

Steller's Jay 5

American/Northwestern Crow 9

Black-capped Chickadee 6

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 10

Golden-crowned Kinglet 3

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch 1

Pacific Wren 8

Bewick's Wren 1

Varied Thrush 3

Hermit Thrush 1 Hodge Lake - could be same bird seen on October walk.

American Robin 2

House Finch 6 In blackberry patch near maintenance pond - usual spot for this species (may roost there).

Fox Sparrow 1

Dark-eyed Junco 7

Golden-crowned Sparrow 1

Song Sparrow 6

Spotted Towhee 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S61661904

Hope ya'll have an enjoyable Thanksgiving and, as always, may all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis
avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com