Date: 11/21/19 7:45 am
From: Devorah the Ornithologist <birdologist...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Parrots Aren’t Jealous When Their Mate Gets A Better Reward
Hello everyone,

A hypothesis about how cooperative behaviour evolves proposes that animals
must develop a sense of fairness, too, so they know when they're being
cheated on. But a recent study in parrots suggests this may not be the case
at all, since parrots do not show jealousy when their mate / cooperative
partner gets a higher-quality reward or gets the same reward for expending
less effort for it. (chimpanzees, for example, tend to have violent temper
tantrums when a cooperative partner gets something for less, or gets
something better.) so why are parrots so much more tolerant of inequality
than our closest relative? this piece explores this question:

Parrots Aren’t Jealous When Their Mate Gets A Better Reward
https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2019/11/21/parrots-arent-jealous-when-their-mate-gets-a-better-reward/
tinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/upda64u

thanks for reading and, as always, I strongly encourage you to share this
story amongst your bird friends and with other interested people on social
media (facebook, linkedin, etc.) and on twitter.

thank you.

--
GrrlScientist | @GrrlScientist <https://twitter.com/GrrlScientist>
<grrlscientist...>