Date: 11/20/19 9:50 am
From: Diann Stone <dstoneak2id...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Blue Jays
When I lived in the hills above Anchorage, AK the Steller's Jays loved
unsalted peanuts in the shells. I would lay peanuts on the deck railing and
watch the jays come for them. A Steller's Jay would choose a peanut to test
supposedly for weight, set it down if not acceptable and try another. Quite
often certain jays would test and choose up to three peanuts at a time held
crosswise in the beak, then fly off to cache them somewhere and return for
more. It was most entertaining to observe their behaviors in this choice of
peanuts. The younger jays would just grab the first convenient peanut and
go. I do miss the almost daily visits of those Steller's Jay's.

Diann Stone Boise

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019, 10:34 AM 'Dave & Brenda Pace' <dbpace...> [ible] <
<ible-noreply...> wrote:

> We have had 3 Blue Jays and 3 Steller’s Jays feeding in our yard for about
> a month now. Haven’t ever seen them here either. Saw a couple Steller’s
> Jays up at the Box Canyon campground in Island Park this summer which was
> fun. Interesting to see how the two species interact. They seem to be
> together often. The blue jays work over the hanging feeders gobbling up
> black oil sunflower seeds whole then flying off. I am assuming they are
> caching them near by as they come back fairly quickly for another crop
> full. I suppose this bodes well for having them spend the winter, they
> seem to have stored enough already for a month or two. After storing a few
> rounds they get a seed and move up to a perch and crack it open just like a
> chickadee, then back for another. The Steller’s Jays stay on the ground
> under the feeders. None of them seem to understand what the whole peanuts
> I leave out are all about. They don’t last long as the magpies sure know
> what they are.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on their favorite feeder foods. The
> black oil seems to work well just wondering what else they might enjoy.
> Fun seeing them.
>
> Dave Pace
> Idaho Falls

Join us on Facebook!