Date: 11/19/19 7:20 am
From: 'jovet' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Trumpeter Swans in Edgewater, 11/19
Thank you for reporting the Trumpeter sighting this morning!
Just to be clear, Jon Ranson and myself have seen Trumpeter Swan at a pond on Owensville Road many times over the last approximately 4 years.  We have also seen them rarely at a pond on Muddy Creek Road.  We have seen them fly over our home, and last year we saw as many as 6 in flight.  They have been in the area for several years and the population seems to have grown; the first sightings were one swan, then two.  Last year 5-6 swans were seen several times. It appears that some fencing was put up on the Owensville Road pond this past spring and we have not seen or heard them at that pond subsequent to that .   However, we have frequently heard them this fall in a location roughly north of the Owensville Road pond and our property, which we believe are the ponds off of Landsdale Road, which are not accessible to view from any public area.  I have not seen them flying this summer, but am convinced at least some remained in the area through the summer.   We have heard them consistently, typically at night or in the early morning.
Many of our sightings were reported to ebird.   Some were not, especially simply hearing them, which is common to us from time to time.
The sighting of the swan at the beaver pond on SERC is encouraging that they are still in the area.   Assuming some of the swan are still the originals seen several years ago, they are approaching breeding age, and with the nesting actions earlier, it will be interesting to see if the population grows or if the swan leave to other regions before breeding.
I'm fascinated by these swan and appreciate sighting reports anywhere in the Edgewater/Anne Arundel - northern Calvert! - area.  I'd encourage everyone to make sure sightings are posted on ebird.
Thanks, Tyler!
Joanne

Joanne Howl, DVMWest River, MD