Date: 11/19/19 5:35 am
From: 'Fred Shaffer' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Waterfowl and Common Yellowthroat at Schoolhouse Pond
There has been a tremendous variety of ducks at Schoolhouse Pond over the last few weeks.  Just this morning I saw 9 Lesser Scaup, 45 Ring-necked Ducks, 1 male Canvasback, 1 Ruddy Duck, 1 female Bufflehead, 2 Mallards, and 4 Hooded Mergansers.  Also present were 2 Tundra Swans with 200 or so Canada Geese.  Yesterday there was a beautiful male Wood Duck as well.  Also of interest, yesterday during my lunchtime walk I had a late female Common Yellowthroat.  The yellowthroat was in the cattails and shrubs near the recently constructed forebay (rip rap enclosure near the office townhouses).  Recent work at the pond has also involved the construction of a structure/dam that keeps the water level at the pond at a higher level, which may account for the increase in waterfowl this fall.  With the absence of the beavers in recent years, the pond had dried up significantly (it more resembled a big mud puddle than pond).  However, with the recent work at the pond, the water level has stabilized at a more "normal" level and the ducks seem to love it.  Good birding,
Fred ShafferCrofton, Anne <Arundelglaucousgull...>