Date: 11/18/19 6:39 pm
From: Gary Bletsch <garybletsch...>
Subject: [Tweeters] another Skagit Franklin's Gull...but where are the Glaucous Gulls?
Dear Tweeters,
Today, the very rainy eighteenth of November, seemed to me the perfect day for gull-watching. The first flock I inspected was the best. At the corner of Minkler and Hoehn Roads, a few miles east of Sedro-Woolley, a big flock included a Thayer's, lots of Ring-billed, quite a few Glaucous-winged, a very few Mew--and one FRANKLIN'S GULL. Maybe this was the same bird that I saw on the Butler Flats on October 19?
Other than another Thayer's in Burlington, there weren't any other of the uncommon-to-rare gulls in any of the subsequent gull flocks that I checked. I think the biggest gull flock of the day was one along Old Highway 99, just north of Cook Road--that flock included at least a thousand Ring-billed Gulls.
The Glaucous Gull has been hard to find in Skagit the last five years. That's the bird I've been looking for. From 2010 to 2014, I saw the Glaucous Gull eight times in Skagit, but only four Franklin's Gulls. From 2015 to 2019, by contrast, I have seen only two Glaucous Gulls here, while Franklin's has appeared before me a whopping 18 times, including six this year.
How things change!
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch