Date: 11/18/19 4:22 am
From: Doug Willick via Groups.Io <doug.willick=<aecom.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Red-footed Booby at the Newport Harbor/Corona del Mar jetty
Just an update to Donna Heim's report on Sunday mid-day. There were several birders present at the jetty on the east side of the Newport Harbor mouth (which is accessed from Corona del Mar State Beach) on Sunday afternoon. Between all those present, we had the bird in view from roughly about 2:00pm through at least 3:30pm (and the bird was still present when Tom Wurster and I left at around 3:30). During this entire time the Red-footed Booby was perched on, or near, the top of the jetty that extends out from Corona del Mar State Beach, roughly about 2/3 the distance out towards the tip of the jetty. There was quite a number of people present in the area, including on the jetty Sunday afternoon, though the bird seemed surprisingly tolerant. The bird flushed at least once during the time we were there (presumably by people going out the jetty), but it ended up flying around and landing back on the same jetty. Due to the distance to the bird (from the base of the jetty), a scope is really necessary to see much in the way of field marks on the bird. The lighting (sun angle) was actually not bad in the mid-afternoon, as one is looking pretty much due south (if the bird remains on the Corona del Mar side). If the bird happens to fly across and perch on the west-side jetty (i.e., on the west side of Newport Harbor mouth), the lighting would definitely be fairly harsh if viewing in the afternoon from the Corona del Mar jetty.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA