Date: 11/17/19 7:39 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Ash-throated relocated! (Or was it?) and Longmeadow Pink-footed
Hi MassBirders,

Not sure how this did not get spread around more (maybe we’re getting western vagrant fatigue after this astounding autumn?), but an Ash-throated Flycatcher was found at Salisbury Beach State Reservation on Friday by John Keeley, and photographed on Saturday by David Bates! David’s photos are in his eBird report:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61489678 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61489678>

Given that this is just across the Merrimack River from Plum Island, it would seem reasonable to think that this is the same individual which Marj Watson and Margaret Viens found at Plum Island a few days earlier. However, the state has been deluged by so many western species this fall, and since October 28 there have been Ash-throated reports in Maine, Rhode Island, and two in New York; so perhaps there could be two ATFLs in this close proximity to each other?

Also worth sharing: western MA has hosted a bunch of less common goose species in the past couple of weeks, with multiple Cackling, Snow, and Greater White-fronted individuals scattered around. On Saturday, Ted Gilliland found the best one so far, a Pink-footed Goose on the CT River near Longmeadow. So far as I know, it has not been seen again since:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61485031 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61485031>

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

Join us on Facebook!