Date: 11/17/19 5:07 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Philomath Sewage Ponds - Northern Shrike, etc.
Hi all,

This morning, I briefly encountered a Northern Shrike on the fence west of
the south pond at PPP (which of course stands for Philomath
*Purification *Ponds,
unless anybody gets the wrong idea ... 😁). Unfortunately, it decided to
take off and fly west all the way across the big field as soon as it
spotted me (so no photos).

The funky *Aythya *hybrid that looks a little like a female Tufted Duck
continues on the NW pond (pic on my eBird list), along with a female Common
Goldeneye. Still lots of Canvasback (95) and 6 Cinnamon Teal present on the
central pond (no sign of the BWTE today) as well as the Horned Grebe that's
been hanging out for a while now.

One White-throated Sparrow along the entrance road was the most unusual
sparrow today, and 6 Brown-headed Cowbirds had joined the blackbird flock
(still no Trikes among them). Otherwise business as usual (we need a decent
storm to shake things up a bit!).

Full list can be seen here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61532692

Happy fall birding!

HH