Date: 11/16/19 9:48 pm
From: <alderspr...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Nehalem mystery recording - may not be a bird but reminds me of Abert's Towhee
Maybe a California ground squirrel's call? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWSMqabZaAM

Karan Fairchild

From: "Beverly Hallberg" <bhallbergskloot...>
To: "Oregon Birds Online" <obol...>
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:32:49 PM

Hi all, Is there anyone who wants to guess what bird or mammal made this repeated call note today at Nehalem Bay State Park. The location was at the south end of the day use parking lot in the corral area which is on the sandy spit between the river and ocean. The mystery caller was deep in the tangle of broom shrubs - on the ground - and moving around. The call would repeat every 30 seconds and I chased it for around 10 minutes without seeing what was making the sound as it was always under cover. It reminds me of an Abert's Towhee. What might make this loud, bright, high-pitched sound?

Good birding, Beverly

Join us on Facebook!