Date: 11/15/19 6:42 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] ring-necked pheasant in Boston
Thanks to Ted Bradford for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 21:26:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [BostonBirds] ring-necked pheasant in Boston
To: "Glenn d'Entremont" <gdentremont1...>
From: Ted Bradford <theobradford...>

Glen,

I was out at Crane WMA in Falmouth, saw the stocking truck drive in at
sunset and release pheasants. Not sure if there are any nearby hunting
areas closer to the arb, or how far a pheasant would fly to escape
gunshots. Hard to believe there are any remnants from earlier
populations. I birded Bussey fairly regularly 5-7 yrs ago and never saw a
hint of pheasant. Or bobwhite.

I will try to sweep through there on occasion to see if there are others.
But, with the bobwhite also popping up in the area, it seems more likely
someone's releasing these, as others have noted on ebird.

Best,
Ted

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019, 8:05 PM GLENN D'ENTREMONT <gdentremont1...>
wrote:

> An ebird report of a freshly killed pheasant in Arnold Arboretum is
> curious. Where in Boston/Jamaica Plain are there released pheasants?
> Where did this bird come from? Decades ago Bussey meadow had lots of
> pheasant, but it has been over 10 years (15 years?) since the Jamaica
> Plain
> area of the Boston CBC had a pheasant-the last one a remnant bird at the
> Boston Nature Center.
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Glenn
>
> Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!