Date: 11/15/19 11:27 am
From: <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] WW & Bl Scoter Hunt Bch Pier
Huntington Beach Pier
15 November 2019 11:25
Howdy, I'm writing this email while wearing reading glasses, and I have
food in my stomach, unlike the last time, when I stuck my foot in my mouth
while writing an email to this Orange County list (I was super hungry, and
I didn't have my reading glasses on). Viewing conditions are fantastic, and
you can see multiple islands from the pier. If anything, I wish I had
brought my floppy hat with me because the sun is too intense. The female
type black scoter is 20 trillion miles out in the open water from the pier,
okay, two three hundred yards out, mixing in and out of various subgroups
of the surface cultures. there's also the female type white-winged scoter
hanging out near the Black Scoter. I have obtained some digiscope photos
but I don't know how useful they will be.
There have also been two immature jaegers, one of which landed in the water
showing an incredibly small bill, and most of its body floating out of the
water like a Sabine's Gull. When it flew around it was very lanky and
skinny, and extensively pale underneath. The other one had much more
extensive dark underneath, and on the wings. I think I'm going to torture a
couple of you by emailing you a picture of this bird. if you have one of
those digital projectors where you can project it on the wall, that might
be the best way to look at the photo.

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"Nobody knows what it is, which is what makes it cool." --The Industrial
Design Guy