Date: 11/15/19 11:10 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: CBC PSA
It is possible to download various map apps while in a service area, then
switch to "Airplane" mode. The gps still works, showing with great accuracy
where one is on the map. I've birded a variety of places for the first time
where access to satellite/airphotos showed intriguing and ultimately
productive landscapes I hadn't imagined.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:54 AM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
wrote:

> Interesting. I didn’t know you could do that. I’m not very modern.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>
> Attending Christmas Bird Counts with good weather forecasts.
>

> On Nov 15, 2019, at 10:29 AM, Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
> wrote:
>
> Service is not really necessary unless you want to have satellite maps. If
> you’re willing to settle for non-satellite maps, you can download any
> region as a Google Maps offline map, which Google Maps will automatically
> switch to when there is no service. Taghrid and I have found that
> invaluable many, many times, especially when traveling overseas. Google
> Maps will prompt you around once a month to update the maps (in case of
> foreign maps, updates may be less frequent).
>
> Anyways, offline maps are a very useful feature for us birders, who often
> find ourselves in no-service areas.
>
> Good birding,
>
> Nagi
> On Nov 15, 2019, 10:22 AM -0800, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>,
> wrote:
>
> Google Maps helps in some areas but make sure you actually have service to
> use them.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>
> Attending Christmas Bird Counts with good weather forecasts.
>

> On Nov 15, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Thomas Gilg <tom...> wrote:
>

> Here’s a reminder that the Oregon Birding Association (OBA) is maintaining
> a list of Christmas Bird Count (CBC) opportunities for 2019-2020 at:
>
> https://oregonbirding.org/cbc/
>
> The OBA is doing an awesome job of pulling this information together,
> which help’s newbies like me plug in. Hopefully all the CBC coordinators
> are also keeping the OBA up to date.
>
> And on a side note, does anyone have experience converting paper CBC zone
> maps to say Google Maps (kmz files)? My second CBC experience involved
> paper maps on logging roads in the Cascades, and having everything Google
> Map ized would have helped.
>
> --tg

Join us on Facebook!