Date: 11/15/19 7:32 am
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] And Then There Were...Three
Since sunrise this morning, I've been watching 3 Blue Jays coming in to feed on both whole corn kernels & black-oil sunflower seeds. Oftentimes, with all 3 present at once.

Given the reports this fall of Blue Jays, esp in E ID, I pulled my records. My only Steller's Jay sighting at our place along the Snake River was 10/8/2000, feeding in our dry overflow channel. First Blue Jay sighting was 5/16/2012 at the feeder. Then, last year, the one which overwintered, arrived on 10/21/2018 to the feeder.

Makes for some interesting questions. Are we witnessing a fall irruption of Blue Jays? Or, do we have a front row seat to observing the range expansion of Blue Jays? Is providing a seed source through feeders aiding a range expansion? Would be interested in others' thoughts. Probably too early to draw firm conclusions, but interesting, nonetheless.

My 3rd generation farmer buddy tells me his mom, who was a hobby birder used to see the occasional Blue Jay years ago, at the family homestead, a mile directly west of me. And, as an aside, until Starlings showed, Mt Bluebirds would nest all through this area...even in their mailbox once! The mailman had them nail a box up nearby, so as not to disturb the bluebirds. That would have been in the 1960's. A lot has changed since then.

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible