Date: 11/14/19 3:39 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Black capped Gnatcatchers Florida Wash
Hi Birders: Had a fun morning today out with Bill and Margaret Rowe from St. Louis Missouri. A number of years back Bill helped me get on my lifer Eurasian Tree Sparrow in his neck of the woods, so I was happy to return the favor for his targeted bird; Black capped Gnatcatcher.
Based on recent reports, we could have chosen a variety of places to look, but chose to start off with the Florida Wash area en route to Florida Canyon. This section of the wash is located besides a corral just past the junction of Rd. 488 and East White House Canyon Road; ( see e-bird map attached to recent sightings of the bird here ). When we got there around 9:15 a.m. three other birders were already on site, and had located a pair of Black capped Gnatcatchers, although they were not currently around, and had been reported flying across the road. After the other birders left we proceeded to thrash around in the Mesquite habitat. As is often the case, if we had just stayed in the original location by the corral, we would have better off, as when we got back to that location we soon got on the pair. As Bill has reported on e-bird we had great looks over a fairly extended time period, some at eye level. We also looked a short distance up Florida Canyon itself, another usual location for this bird, but didn't see them there. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson
Green Valley