Date: 11/14/19 2:36 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] painted redstart
A Painted Redstart was in the NW quadrant of Mile Square Park in Fountain
Valley today. Going north on Brookhurst, turn right (E) at Heil and pull
into the first parking lot on the right. Walk 50-yards east along the
fence-line of the golf course, past the tall golf-ball screen to a green
picnic table situated before a stretch of pine trees. The bird pished in
from the eucalyptus trees on the golf course side of the fence. It appears
to be an immature bird, with frayed rectrices, brown tones to the
primaries, and a reddish orange belly. I don't recall seeing a Painted
Redstart with such an orangey belly before, so it is interesting to
consider that females average "slightly more orange-tinged bellies than
males" (Pyle 1997). So if this bird winters as I expect it will, it might
not be singing in the spring.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HzKBituTgdwMYprNA

Other recent birds of lesser note include two Aleutian Cackling Geese
(adult and juvenile) at Carr Park (4 Nov), a Yellow Warbler on the south
side of David Baker golf course (5 Nov), and another Yellow Warbler and a
Wilson's Warbler at Centennial Park (7 Nov).

Jim Pike
HB