Date: 11/14/19 12:53 pm
From: Brad Waggoner <wagtail24...>
Subject: [Tweeters] The Neah Bay Eurasian Tree Sparrow Scenario - Another Interesting Development
Hi All,

No matter how the Eurasian Tree Sparrow ended up in the town of Neah
Bay, the new additional mystery is perhaps how long has it been there?!!
Visiting California birder, Steve Hampton, has nicely captured photos on
November 10 of what is near certainly a House Sparrow X Eurasian Tree
Sparrow hybrid. Check it out at this link to Steve's eBird submission on
the 10th.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61338077

This bird is somewhat similar in appearance to the pure bird, but as
Steve points out the apparent hybrid has a gray forecrown, less
pronounced dark cheek spot, and more pale in the lower mandible. It does
sure seem most plausible that local breeding took place for such a result.

It would be nice to see if we could gather a bit more possible
photographic evidence of this hybrid or even if there are other hybrid
individuals. Birder's that took photos the last couple of weeks or
months give them a look-see and report back if you have something of
interest. And, those heading to Neah Bay in upcoming days or weeks, be
on the look out. I know, it is not all that often that we pay a great
deal of attention to House Sparrows!

Cheers and good birding,

Brad Waggoner